SAPTCO is Saudi Public Transport Company and since its establishment in Saudi Arabia, it has been intensively redefining and improvising the concept of public transportation within the cities of Makkah, Medina and Jeddah, especially for the pilgrims of Hajj and Umrah. Riyadh and Dammam are the other two major cities covered by this bus service.
For transportation of the pilgrims between Makkah – Medina – Jeddah, SAPTCO offers the normal bus service and the VIP bus service.
The normal bus service is relatively cheaper and the buses leave more frequently during the day as compared to the VIP buses. No food and drinks are served and also there is limited legroom available.
The approximate cost of travel between Makkah and Medina is 55 SAR (9 GBP) on the normal bus service. There are a total of 19 departures from Makkah to Medina and vice versa. From Makkah to Medina, the scheduled journey on takes about 4.5 hours while from Medina to Makkah the travel duration is 7.5 hours that includes a number of stopovers.
Check the schedule of buses by clicking on: https://www.saptco.com.sa/Buses/Transportation-between-Cities/Schedule.aspx
The VIP buses traverse on the following routes that concern the pilgrims:
Makkah – Medina
Jeddah – Medina
Comprising these services, a sophisticated standard of comfort is proposed, with more legroom, spacious seats, availability of newspapers, charging points and a snack box. VIP buses let the pilgrims have an amazing experience of perfection and punctuality. It is really a convenient and relaxing choice if you are on a pilgrimage with your family or elderly.
You can check the schedule and make a booking through the following link:
While using the SAPTCO buses, the non-GCC citizens require the following documents:
- A valid passport for visitors or original residence permit.
- The original passport and necessary visas for VIP International Trips.
Passengers with Special Needs
SAPTCO caters to the needs of the passengers with special requirements or disability. Such travelers are recommended to travel with a companion. While accompanying the disabled person, a companion’s ticket should be used which is not valid otherwise. A copy of the disability identification card and the original ID card should be present with the traveler.
Info on Luggage
Please go through the following points to get acquainted with the luggage rules:
Allowed Weight: Within the cities of Saudi Arabia the allowed luggage weight is 75kg/adult-ticket and 35kg/child-ticket. 1 SAR per kg is charged on the luggage beyond the allowed limit.
Luggage Dimensions: The maximum size of each piece of luggage shall be 90cm length, 50cm width and 40cm height.
Luggage Label: Sticker should be placed on every piece of luggage.
Hand Luggage: If any passenger carries the hang luggage then it is his own responsibility entirely to take care of it. The bus company shall not be accountable in case of damage or loss. 7kg is maximum weight limit for the hand luggage.
Prohibited Materials: The passengers are not allowed to carry the following materials as part of their baggage:
- Any materials that are forbidden by the rules and regulations of Saudi Arabia.
- The objects that are regarded inappropriate/unsuitable for conveyance, because of their dimensions, weight, shape or that they are fragile or damageable, including the inflammable constituents, arms, explosives, ammunitions, animals, liquids and acids.
- Listed baggage shall not contain damageable or breakable things. Funds, valuables, jewels, precious metals, electronic devices, highly valuable or significant documents and/or negotiable instruments shall also not be carried along.
Lost Luggage: In an unfortunate event of the loss of luggage, please immediately report to the concerned officials upon arriving the station. SAPTCO is not accountable for the lost or damaged luggage unless it is proven that the loss or damage resulted from company’s carelessness.
If registered baggage is misplaced, cover shall be restricted to a maximum sum of SAR 350/piece, given that the loss is reported, the processes are completed and the sticker of lost piece is found.
General Instructions and Safety Advice
For your ease and convenience please go though the following guidelines and be advised:
- Keep all the required documents with the ticket till the conclusion of your journey and show them, when asked, at the exit gate.
- Smoking is not allowed within the buses.
- The passengers are advised to report at their station 30 minutes before the departure time.
- If the customer is unable to travel for any reason then 65% of the unused ticket price will be refunded. But in case when the passenger uses the ticket but decides to not continue, then the ticket is entirely non-refundable.
- The front seats of the buses are booked for families.
- Fragile or valuable luggage and required travel documents are the responsibility of the traveler.
- Upon arriving the station and before going to the departure gate, the passengers are supposed to go to the luggage department to process the luggage-related formalities.
The children should be advised according to the following rules:
- Children under 12 years of age are eligible to travel at half the ticket price.
- It is not permissible for children under 13 years of age to travel alone.
- Children between 13 to 17 years of age are allowed to travel alone provided they have the approval form from the guardian.
- To travel, an ID card is a must for all children.
- Infants who are less than 2 years of age would be issued a ticket free of charge.
All the information provided here is for you to be guided well. If you have any confusions or questions regarding the schedule of buses, reservation and payment, feel free to contact us at 0203 743 8188. UK Hajj Umrah would resolve your queries and help you make an informed choice.