Performing Hajj or Umrah has a monumental religious significance and Muslims try their best to well-prepare for the journey and execute all the rituals with utmost devotion and thorough preparation. Considerably well before the departure to Makkah and Medina, the pilgrims make sure to meet the prerequisites of the sacred expedition and this also involves packing the things to serve your needs during the pilgrimage.
We have browsed through various resources and taken benefit from the experiences of the pilgrims to
compile the following list and assist you in packing for the coming season of Umrah.
- A hand luggage that is easily distinguishable for you.
- Luggage locks and keys.
- Small notepad to put down your thoughts and the list of duas and ibadah that you wish to perform.
- Quran and dua books, essentially the ones that have translation in your native language so you reflect on the meaning too.
- A guidebook for the pilgrimage to help you through the rituals and ibadah.
- MP3 player to listen to the recitations of Quran and the lectures.
- A prayer mat to perform Salah. You may get one upon your arrival to Makkah and prefer a thick one so you may comfortably pray on the floors of Masjid al Haram. Foldable prayer rugs with shoulder straps are easily available to conveniently carry along and to be used as a cushion too.
- Prayer beads preferably with 7 beads to wear on your fingers to count tawaf around Ka’aba.
Clothing and Accessories
- A cross-body bag or a waist bag to carry your essentials during the rites.
- Extra Ihram clothing in case you wish to freshen up or wash the other one.
- 3 pairs of comfortable slippers. The slippers do not get stolen but at times they get lost due to high volume of people coming in and going out.
- Folding umbrella to avoid the harsh sun.
- Wudu Mate is an essential item for Muslims to carry on the go. It carries one-liter water and when empty you can fold it to put in your bag. Wudu mate comes handy when you wish to perform ablution while visiting ziyarah.
- Prescription glasses and sunglasses to protect your eyes from the heat and UV radiations.
- Hand sanitizer is an absolute must to carry in your bag. Apply it on your hands after using the taps, before eating and after sneezing or coughing to protect yourself from the respiratory diseases and infections.
- Fragrance-free wipes come in handy if you quickly need to freshen up.
- Travel pack of perfume-free shampoo bottle, soap, shower-gel and hand towels.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Plenty of tissue rolls.
- Comb, small scissors and nail clipper.
- Vaseline and moisturizers.
- Do not forget to pack any medicines that you are supposed to take on regular basis. Visit your GP at least 2-3 weeks before your journey to get necessary prescriptions.
- Over the counter medicines like painkillers and aspirin.
- Medicines for fever, flu, cough, allergies and stomach issues.
- Stamped passport and its copies.
- Money required during your stay.
- Vaccine certificates.
- Marriage certificate.
- Emergency contact numbers (write them in a small notebook and carry on your bag).
- Mobile phone and charger.
- A sleeping bag, inflatable pillow and sheets.
- Plastic bags to store any leftover food.
- Water bottle to stay well hydrated.
- Small alarm clock.
- Drawstring bag to carry your slippers etc.
Abovementioned is the list of essential things you need for your journey. Feel free to ask your travel agent any questions that come to your mind. Mental, emotional and most importantly spiritual preparation with the purity of intention is an undeniable priority.
Allah says in the Quran:
“… And take a provision (with you) for the journey, but the best of provisions is right conduct.” (2:197)
Weather in Saudi Arabia
For the people going to Saudi Arabia in December from the UK, it is important to note the weather difference between the UK and KSA. Accustomed to the chilly weather in UK, the hot weather in Saudi Arabia might appear too harsh. So you must be mentally prepared for it and keep yourself hydrated just as you step out of the airport in Jeddah. The nights are however pleasant there.
For your convenience, we have put together everything you might need during umrah in an umrah kit. You can buy one here.