Actions that Nullify Ihram
Ihram is the sacred state which a pilgrim has to attain before entering the Miqat for the purpose of Hajj. A pilgrim has to make sure that he does not get involved in any such act which results in nullifying his Ihram. Allah Almighty said:
“Let there be neither obscenity nor wickedness nor wrangling in the Hajj” (Qur’an 2:197).
Listed below are the acts that consequently invalidate the Ihram of a pilgrim:
- One should not engage in any sort of wrongdoing, transgression or immoral activity while in state of ihram.
- The male pilgrim is not allowed to wear any kind of sewed clothes nor any perfume while in state of Ihram. Ibn ‘Umar narrated that Allah’s apostle (PBUH) said: “A person in a state of ihram is not allowed to wear a sewn shirt, a turban, a hooded robe, underpants, a cloth that has been dyed with sweet smelling fragrance (such as saffron), shoes or sewn slippers, unless one is unable to find regular un-sewn slippers, then one may wear his shoes provided one cuts them down to the ankles.”
- The female pilgrim should not cover her face with a veil in state of Ihram.
- The males must not cover their head.
- One is not permitted to cut hair or nails after acquiring Ihram. Allah says: “And do not shave your heads until the offering reaches the place of sacrifice.” (Qur’an 2:196)
- The pilgrims must realize that being involved in any kind of sexual activity like kissing or touching the spouse to provoke sexual desire will nullify the ihram.
- It is not permissible for a pilgrim to propose for marriage during the sacred state of ihram.
- The pilgrims cannot use any scented soaps or shampoo during the state of ihram.
- A pilgrim is not allowed to quarrel or fight with anyone as it counts as disrespect of ihram.
- One cannot kill insect on anyone’s body.
- Cutting or planting a tree in not allowed.
- No animal hunting is permissible while in the condition of Ihram. The Qur’an says: “Lawful to you is the pursuit of water game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel; but forbidden is the pursuit of land game – as long as you are in the Sacred Precincts or in pilgrim garb.” (Qur’an 5:96)
- The pilgrim is not permitted to apply oil on the body.
Anyone who performs any such act that nullifies his ihram has to pay the penalty as prescribed by Allah Almighty.